Read Time:57 Second
Cleaning your baby’s teeth is an important part of their oral hygiene routine. Here are some steps you can follow to clean your baby’s teeth:
- Start cleaning your baby’s mouth even before the first teeth come in. Use a soft, damp cloth to gently wipe their gums after feedings.
- Once the first teeth come in, use a small, soft-bristled toothbrush designed for babies. Wet the toothbrush with water and gently brush the teeth and gums.
- Use a tiny smear of fluoride toothpaste on the toothbrush for babies under 2 years old, and a pea-sized amount for children 2-5 years old.
- Brush your baby’s teeth twice a day, preferably after breakfast and before bedtime.
- Make sure to clean all surfaces of the teeth, including the fronts, backs, and tops.
- Encourage your baby to spit out the toothpaste, but don’t rinse their mouth with water.
- Be gentle and patient when brushing your baby’s teeth. If your baby is resistant to having their teeth brushed, try making it into a fun and playful activity.
- Take your baby for regular dental checkups starting at age 1, or as recommended by your dentist.